Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mum's Best Pumpkin Scones!

hi!
this post is a celebration...
it is number 350...
wow, how did i ever write that many?
it is a mystery to me that i ever came this far...hehe
i guess i can answer my own question.

one by one.

in honour of this occasion
i am sharing my mum's best ever pumpkin scone recipe.

i am munching on one as i type...yum!


1 decent tablespoon of butter or 50g
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 cup boiled or microwaved pumpkin...mashed
3 cups plain flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda

1 cup sultanas (optional...i didn't put any in mine)

cream the butter (or margarine) & sugar together.
beat in one egg.
add the mashed pumpkin and mix well.
sieve the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda into the mixture.

now with a light touch, mix until it forms one lump.
if it comes off the sides it is just right.
if it sticks to the sides add a touch more flour,
if it is too stiff, not soft and easily managed, add a touch of mild...probably a tablespoon.

turn out onto a well floured board,
shape into a smooth lump then flatten gently with your hand
 until about 2-3cm or 1and a half inches thick.
cut or press out into whatever shapes you fancy.

bake for 12 mins at 180 degrees celsius.

totally delicious.

these are simple to make if you don't overmix everything
&
are especially good for using up leftover mashed pumpkin from last night's dinner.
{or put on a bit extra so that you do have leftovers}



oh by the way i always use silicone paper to bake them on...
saves washing a baking tray and the scones never stick.

and another thing...wash down your bench or cutting board in cold water..
and soak your floury utensils and bowls in cold too,
that way the flour just dissolves and washes easily.
hot water cooks the flour into glue and then it dries and hardens
and then you have to get a pick axe to get it off everything! 


now after all that effort
you deserve a cuppa
while you munch through a plate full of scones...




happy blogging and baking...



naturally Carol xox

p.s...it has been a windy day...not too cold though thankfully...so i did get the washing done..yay!
i even got an apron cut out for a friend's birthday next week
&
as well as some baking and blogging...all in all a pretty productive day.




11 comments:

  1. I love scones but have never tried pumpkin scones - that's gone on my list of things to make when I have leftover pumpkin this autumn. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol...first of all congratulations on writing all that many posts...well done.
    You visited me and now I'm visiting you and joining your followers. i'm looking forward to getting to know you better! I must have a go at the recipe. Thanks. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect day for Pumpkin scones. You've got me hungry xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay congratulations!!
    Yummo. I love pumpkin scones, but I've never made them... I'll have to try your mums recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on 350 posts Carol, and those scones look delicious alright! I'm keen to give your recipe a try, would be perfect on one of these chilly days..great tips on the cleaning up too, I never realised cold water worked best, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOW, they do look absolutely delicious Carol. How sweet are you to share your Mum's lovely recipe as a celebration of your posts. Well done on the 350, that is a lot of words xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and thanks for sharing the yummy recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this yummy recipe!
    They look delicious!
    Hugs from Sapin
    Liliana
    I´m following you now

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love a pumpkin scone. They'd be perfect for indulging in while we read our favourite magazines, huh? I do like your suggestions. I dipped into a Real Living recently. Nice mix of things in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carol. These look so delicious! Autumn is just around the corner for us, and I always feel like baking when the weather turns cooler. So I'll have to give these a try. You mentioned that you had noticed an increase in people who have comment moderation. I have never had a spammer in the 3(?) years that I've had a blog. But I use comment moderation and limit my comments to those who are registered, to make sure I don't. So my guess is that the increase you have seen is probably just because of people (like me) being proactive in taking care of their blog, not a reaction to something bad that already happened.

    ReplyDelete

i am delighted that you care enough to comment..i love to read each one of them..thank you!